Friday, September 16, 2011

Agenda for First Meeting of YYPG


This was the plan I followed on the first meeting date.

Introduction

Welcome to the first ever SBC Yada Yada Prayer Group. I look forward to getting to know each of you and hope you will get to know each other. The characters in our books are described as “a drawer of mismatched socks.” Although, each person in the group is distinctively different, God used their uniqueness to help each other. Start thinking about what special skills and gifts God has given you. How can you use those to help others in the group?
I hope during the next ten weeks that we will achieve the following:
1. Simply enjoy a good read.
2.Begin thinking about our everyday lives. How does it impact others and howdo others impact us?
3.Pay attention to those people around us whose culture and lifestyles are different from ours. Step outside of your comfort zone and look at how can we minister to them and allow them to minister to us.
4.Grow in our prayer lives.
5.Learn how to pray and personalize scriptures.
6.Identify the skills and gifts you have that you can share with each other.

This evening we are going to spend some time getting to know each other. Then I will present a quick overview of the characters which will set you up for next week’s reading. I am going to introduce you to the concept of praying and personalizing the scripture.

Group Introductions (30 minutes)

I want you to pair up with another woman and interview her. Ask questions, listen, and take notes on what you have learned. After five minutes, switch roles and complete the next interview. Once you have finished, we will get back into the group and you will share what you have learned about the other person.

Share My Testimony

OVERVIEW

Definitions (Handout)

Yada (Hebrew): to perceive, understand, acquire knowledge, know, discern; to be made known, make oneself known, to be familiar.
Yadah: to speak out, to confess; to praise; to sing; to give thanks; essentially means to acknowledge the nature and work of God.

Character Profiles

As I provide an overview of the twelve women in the Yada Yada Prayer Group I want you to think about which of the women you can relate to. Are there women in this book like other people that you know?

Discuss how to journal and pray scripture (refer to handouts).

Share a couple of resources I use for daily prayer and meditation:
Praying God’s Word Day-by-Day, Beth Moore
Jesus Calling, Sarah Young

Closing

You may choose to just read the book and come for the discussions, to journal, or to investigate praying the scripture. Do what you are comfortable with and what you have the time and interest in doing. I want this to be your study-not mine. Bring your insights, questions, and scriptures to add to the discussion. We will adjust, as need be, along the way.

Closing Prayer (Prayer Rings)

Each women has been provided with a ring holding cards that may be used to record prayer requests and as a reminder to pray for the group members.

1.Ask for specific prayer requests.
2.Pray the scripture

“Father and God of our Lord Jesus Christ, please give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that we may know you better. I pray also that the eyes of our hearts may be enlightened in order that we may know the hope to which You have called us, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints.”
“Father, Your incomparably great power is available for us who believe. This power is like the working of Your mighty strength, which you exerted in Christ when You raised Him from the dead and seated Him at your right side in the heavenly realms.” If you can raise Jesus from the dead and seat Him beside You, You can deliver me!
Ephesians 1: 17, 18

No comments:

Post a Comment